A final walk-through ensures that the property’s condition hasn’t changed since your last visit and that the terms of your contract have been met.
You’ve finally found the home you love, made the offer, and the seller has accepted. You’ve gotten your inspections done, your loan is being finalized and a closing date has been set.
You’re not quite finished yet.
Your next step before closing is the final walk-through, which is generally arranged through your real estate agent. Remember the walk through isn’t a home inspection, you’ve already done that by now. The final walkthrough is to confirm any changes agreed on have been met. Depending on your contract you will actually sign an addendum confirming that you’ve done your walk-through and everything is as it should be. It is recommended you take your contract with you, you might need to refer to it. Also a checklist of the things to do during the final walk through will help you remember.
- Check the exterior of the home
- Turn all light fixtures on and off
- Make sure the seller hasn’t removed any fixtures that he or she agreed to leave behind
- Check all appliances if agreed on placing new ones or on keeping old ones make sure they are functional.
- Check heat and/or air conditioning works
- Turn on water faucets; check for leaks under sinks.
- Test the garage door openers.
- Flush all toilets.
- Open and close all windows and doors.
- Do a visual spot-check of ceilings, walls and floors.
- Turn on the garbage disposal and exhaust fans.
- Check the status of any agreed-upon repairs.
- Check screens, storm windows or/and shutters.
- Look in storage areas to make sure no trash or unwanted items remain.
- Do a quick check of the backyard
Taking your time is important, you don’t want to spend the first weeks in your new home cleaning up or making unexpected repairs.
Real Estate Consultants
1 (844) 853-1113
5600 SW 135 Ave Suite #103
Miami, FL 33183